Renovation of rooms in the apartment almost always involves the replacement of coating on the walls. And most often people choose wallpaper as a building material, especially since today's market offers dozens of very different options. But before you give the room a completely new look, you need to correctly solve the question of how to remove the old wallpaper, and whether there is a need for their complete removal.
How will look new wallpaper on the walls of the room depends on how well you spend the preparatory stage before the main repair. If you want that the coating of your walls and ceiling looked perfect and did not require removal in two or three years, the most important thing to do is to remove a layer of old wallpaper. This is necessary for several reasons:
- Sticking new wallpapers on top of old ones will result in bubbles and bumps inevitably appearing in some places.
- Bleeding out old stains from walls and ceiling to a new coating is possible.
- In the old finishing material always accumulates dust and various pathogenic organisms. Repair on the one hand is not only improving the appearance of the home, but also getting rid of pathogens.
Be sure to remove the coating from the ceiling and walls is necessary in the case when the surfaces begin to multiply mold. In such situations, in addition to simple cleaning, special disinfection will be required, aimed at the complete destruction of the spores of the fungus.
In the event that repairs are planned throughout the apartment, it is best to first remove all layers of wallpaper and only then proceed to the gluing of new material. There are many ways to clean walls from wallpaper, and among them there are those that, without any extra effort and professional skills, will allow you to decide how to remove old paper wallpapers. The choice of method depends on what wallpaper was pasted on the surface - non-woven, washable, vinyl or the most simple paper. It is also necessary to take into account how you will remove the old finishing material - from concrete, wooden walls or from drywall.
If you are thinking about how to quickly remove the old wallpaper, then you should prepare everything that you may need before the main work. The process of removing the old finishing material is simplified using:
- Spatulas. It is best to take a narrow for hard-to-reach places, and wide for removing large pieces of old material at once.
- Needle roller. With the help of such a device, perforated holes are applied to dense vinyl or non-woven wallpaper, which facilitates the entry of water and their unlocking.
- Warm water. In some stores, you can meet and a special tool designed to soften the paper material. But it is easier and cheaper to use ordinary water with the addition of soap or a small amount of powder.
- Sponge, roller or spray.
- Steam generator.
- Knives, metal sponges, with their help, with little effort, remove the wallpaper from those places of the ceiling and walls, where the material stuck very firmly.
- Polyethylene or newspapers.
- Ladders or stepladders.
If you want to do everything correctly and quickly, first of all the room to be repaired must be fully prepared. For this, the furniture, floor, and windows are covered with foil or newspapers, which will reduce the amount of dust on them and make cleaning easier. It is better to seal the sockets with masking tape; this will reduce the risk of ingress of water, which can drain from the ceiling or walls during wetting.
In the process of preparation, you need to think not only about how easy it is to remove old wallpaper, but also about personal safety. Well, if you normally carry dust and inhalation of various chemical solutions. But some people may react to dust and smell by a coughing fit or shortness of breath. This will not happen if you use special respirators and periodically ventilate the room. Before you begin to moisten and remove the finishing material the apartment must be de-energized for a while.
It is believed that the easiest way to remove from the surface of vinyl wallpaper. Their top layer is firmly bonded to the substrate and therefore, if everything is prepared correctly for their removal, then the material from the walls or ceiling will immediately go in large pieces. Vinyl wallpapers are removed in compliance with several rules:
- First, you need to walk along the entire surface with wallpaper with a needle roller. If it is not at hand, then a lot of cuts and cuts are made on the material with a knife.
- Then the vinyl wallpaper is well moistened with a sponge or paint roller.
- After 20-30 minutes, you can proceed directly to the removal of the wallpaper.
- Vinyl wallpapers are easily removed if you cut them near the ceiling with a knife and then pull the canvas down.
- Most often, only the top vinyl layer is immediately removed, so the remaining paper material is wetted and scraped off after disintegration.
Sometimes vinyl wallpaper consists of several layers, in such cases they will have to be removed in stages. If the bottom paper base keeps firmly, does not lag behind the walls, and the surfaces themselves are all smooth and have no signs of fungus, then you can not touch the last layer. Naturally, vinyl or any other wallpaper will have to be completely removed if you plan on plastering or painting surfaces.
Non-woven wallpaper is notable for its increased durability, therefore it is not always possible to remove them from the walls with just ordinary water and a spatula. The surface of the non-woven roll material is a synthetic material through which moisture does not penetrate. To get water into the lower layers, it is necessary to treat the surface of the wallpaper with a needle roller. For applying water to non-woven wallpaper, it is best to use a sprayer - under pressure, the liquid penetrates the base more easily.
If necessary, apply special washes, they can also be applied both on the walls and on the ceiling. The washes quickly destroy the glue, and the finishing material easily moves away from the surface. Non-woven wallpapers have one important advantage - their bottom layer strengthens plaster well, so if it is well preserved, then you can not remove it.
Facilitates the process of removing old wallpaper from those places where they are glued particularly firmly, the steam generator. If this device or steam iron to process the most tenacious joints, the material will easily soften and can be removed without problems.
Washable wallpaper was originally created taking into account the immunity to moisture. Therefore, the usual treatment of the walls with water when removing washable wallpaper may not give a result. You can use chemicals or pre-perforate the material. It is necessary to ensure that water or a special liquid gets into the base of the material and then the cleaning wallpaper can be easily removed with a spatula.
How to clean drywall
How to quickly remove old wallpaper from drywall? Purification of this material is not an easy task. This is due to the fact that the top layer of drywall when soaking the wallpaper can also swell and tear off. To avoid this, you should use only special washes that dissolve only the adhesive base, without affecting the basic material of the walls.
Carefully when cleaning the drywall, you should also use a trowel, as with careless movements you can damage the material, and this is fraught with noticeable defects. Before sticking a new wallpaper, it is advisable to plaster plasterboard, this will allow you to use the water without harm in the future with the next repair.