The plinth is a type of finishing material that is used to hide the gap between the ceiling and the wall or the wall and the floor. Previously, the plinth was made in the form of a wooden plank of a triangular shape of standard width. Such a detail often prevented the furniture from being placed flush against the wall and did not carry any other functional benefits.
Modern models are made from a variety of materials, various sizes and colors. Such skirting boards are easy to install, they fit well into any interior, helping to give it a finished and neat look.
Numerous construction stores offer to buy a wide plinth of various shapes, colors, textures and sizes. But the main classification of the product is the material of manufacture. Today you can buy a plinth:
- under the carpet;
Choosing the material of the plinth, you should focus on the overall interior, so that it blends harmoniously.
A wide wooden plinth is the most expensive because it is the most environmentally friendly and serves for a long time. For manufacturing use: oak, walnut, maple, bamboo. The interiors are beautifully and nobly combined with wooden furniture and floors.
Such a plinth is made using the method of dry pressing of wood fiber under high temperature. Can be laminated or painted. Laminated baseboards on top of covered with paper soaked in melamine coating. The product for painting has a significant advantage: you can paint it in almost any color used in the interior.
This type of plinth is applicable even in the bathroom and in the kitchen, it is quite moisture-resistant and can well withstand temperature fluctuations.
The plinth floor polyurethane has a number of advantages. In addition to the aesthetic appearance, it is quite simple to maintain, environmentally friendly and resistant to deformation and mechanical stress. Due to these characteristics, floor polyurethane wide skirting is often used for finishing rooms with high humidity. This type of plinth is the latest fashion trend in interior design. White color is perfectly combined with other elements of the decor, made of glass, metal and plastic.
Rich textures from smooth white surfaces to carved, decorated with fancy elements, allow to embody the most interesting ideas of designers. Such a baseboard perfectly complements the stucco at the bottom of the wall. In addition, it can be repainted at any time if the interior changes.
Cork plinth is used in unusual interiors, for decorating joints. It is possible to buy a shponirovanny product or a product from the massif of a pith tree.
The advantages of wide plinths
Choosing materials for finishing floors, you should immediately look at the baseboard to get a successful combination. Wide floor plinth has a number of advantages:
- better hides the gaps between the walls and the floor;
- successfully combined with different outdoor materials;
- provides more reliable protection for walls from high humidity and mechanical shocks;
- behind such a plinth you can easily hide the flaws of the wall;
- modern models are very practical - the volumetric cavity of the cable channels will help to hide all communication that has not been removed behind the walls;
- white wide plinth is great for the decoration of spacious, tall rooms;
- modern fasteners make installation quite simple;
- possibility to install furniture close to the wall.
Besides the fact that the plinth makes the lower part of the room complete, it can independently act as a decor element.
Wide plinths in a modern interior
Most often, a wide white plinth in the interior is used by designers who have chosen the classic style. It looks good with monochromatic pastel-colored walls. But to make the decor look appropriate in the room, you should follow the rules for choosing the width depending on the height of the ceilings:
- room with a height of 2.6 m or less - the width of the baseboard is not more than 70 mm;
- room height of 3 m - the width of the plinth about 80 mm;
- for rooms with high ceilings over 3 m, you can safely buy a plinth over 100 mm wide.
It was wide baguettes used in the architecture of antiquity for the decoration of spacious palace halls. In those days, they were made of plaster by hand. With the help of stucco were born whole works of decorative art. Today, a wide ceiling plinth in the interior is made of foam and polyurethane, it is much easier to work with it.
But still now there are craftsmen who make the fillets by hand. To do this, you need to purchase a plaster mix, special rubber molds for casting, spatulas and wooden tow for reinforcing the product. The casting process takes more time than using the finished material, it takes at least 24 hours to fully solidify, but the result is worth it.
If you need to focus on interior doors, then trim the trim with white plinths, it looks very elegant. Also, this material forms the edges of wall panels, which is now very important.
In order for the plinth to look good against the general background of the room, you should heed the advice of professionals:
- If the plinth coating has a fuzzy, blurred texture - this indicates that it is treated with low-quality varnishes and paints. During operation, this will lead to deformation from moisture and detergents during cleaning.
- Even a slight difference in the shades of the baseboard itself and its connecting element will be very noticeable when mounted.
- It is better to buy floor covering and plinth from one type of wood, they will have a similar structure. In this case, the tone may differ slightly, but do not give preference to striking contrasts.
- If the color did not immediately work out, then it is better to buy an uncovered plinth for painting.
- It is better to drill neat holes for finishing nails in skirtings made of solid wood before installation.
- If the plinth is fastened with self-tapping screws, then the holes are successfully masked with decorative decorative moldings or with the help of colored wax to match the color of the plinth.
- Plinths and platbands of the same width look harmonious.
The rest of the purchase and installation of a wide plinth is no different from a similar type of plinths of other sizes.